Vinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo Slider

1039
Beer has a long tradition in Bamberg . The first documented reference dates back to the year 1039-. The first brewing charter was granted  in 1122 by Bishop Otto I  ( 1102- 39 ) to the Benedictine Monastery at the Michelsberg.

1439
The Princes of the time cared greatly about the quality of the beer. The sovereign Bishop Heinrich III , Great of Trockau ( 1487- 1501 ) decreed in 1489 the Bamberger Purity law , which laid down, that nothing else than Hops , Malt and water were to be used in the brewing process . And so this preceded by 27 years  the Bavarian Purity Law , which is still in existence today.

18 Jhd.
Bamberg’s ascendency to a beer city was in the 18 Th century . Especially in the Schönborn period , under the sovereign bishop Lothar Franz ( 1693 – 1729 ) and Friedrich Karl ( 1729- 1746 ) of Schönborn, trade and craftsmanship were strongly promoted, this lead to a kind of economic miracle (Wirtschaftswunder).

1718
During these prosperous years the brewery was founded, as is registered in the ledgers of the Michelsberg Monastery from 1718. At this time there were three public houses in the village of Gaustadt, with only 300 inhabitants. One of these public houses belonged to the Benedictine Monastery St. Michelsberg of Bamberg, and for this public house, Georg Morg, the tenant at that time was granted permission to establish a brewery.

Auszug aus dem Protokollbuch des Klosters Michaelsberg von 1718

1900
Around the year 1900 the brewery was called „ Müller’sche Brewery of Gaustadt ) and the owner Anton Müller had „ only „ four daughters.

1910
Georg Wörner, the grandfather of the current owner, was one of the nine children of the brewery owner Michael Wörner from „ Erbacher Brewery „ in Erbach / Odenwald. In the course of his apprenticeship and travelling years he met Monika Müller in Gaustadt, one of the four daughters of Anton Müller. They were married on 28 th January 1910. From then on the Brewery was called “ Brewery Wörner “ and then later “ Brewery Gaustadt “.

 

 

1953
In the year 1953 Georg Wörner transferred the Brewery to his two sons, Theodor and Ludwig. At this time the output of the brewery was 6.000 hl per annum.

 

1956
During the course of the following years, the output rose steadily ( from 1956 alcohol free refreshment beverages were produced ) such that from the middle of the 1960’s the brewery became too small. There was no room for expansion on the current site, so Theodor and Ludwig took the brave decision to build a complete new brewery on a green field site.

1969
After a two year construction period, the first brew was made in the new brewery in March 1969. During a further successive three expansion phases in the years that followed, the brewery reached its current size on 55.000 m² and with a production capacity of 300.000 hl p.a.

1972
In 1972,  the up until this time independent borough of Gaustadt , became part of the city of Bamberg . This was the beginning of the process to incorporate the famous sights and buildings into the marketing of the Brewery. New Beer Types were created bearing the name Kaiserdom . Kaiserdom Pilsener was offered to the consumers for the first time  at the church consecration festivities of 1976. It was a huge success.

1978
After the sudden death of Ludwig Wörner on March 28 th 1978 , his son Georg entered the brewery. At this time he had already finished his studies in Weihenstephan ( Dipl Ing ) and Munich ( Dipl Wirtsh. Ing ) , but was in the middle of his doctorate in Weihenstephan with Prof. Narziss. Upon his father’s death, he gave up his futher studies to concentrate on the interest of the family business.  Already at this time, Georg Wörner had decided not only to sell his beers in Germany, but to systematically build up the Export business for the Kaiserdom brand. Today the company exports worldwide, in China and Sweden there is licence Production. On January 1 st 1986 Georg Wörner and his family assumed the full ownership of the brewery (third Generation).

1980
Kaiserdom starts to systematically and consequently establich itself on the world beer market.

1990
Addition of the Business field Technics and Technonolgy.

2012
New construction of a loading terminal.

2013
Modernisation and expansion of the filling line.